Thursday, 13 January 2011

The cat and the night

Glasgow is a cold city full of lights. Its also a bit wet. It's semi-welcoming when you first enter it. It beckons you to explore itself yet doesn't allow you room to move about. I went to a new city and sat in a cafe all day, walked down a single street and around the train station and now I am on my way back. This is so very unlike me. This is the first time I have visited a new city and walked up and down one street ad back. Why? What has this place done to me. EVen my words have lost the panache and pointedness. It's all become blunt. Is it because I am getting too old or have I been consumed from the inside, left without any butane. Have I been too late in rescuing myself. Enough about me though. The weather has been bleak all day. Although I did get a few glimpses of the sun it never got high enough on the horizon. Lots of promise and not much heat. The sun should try harder, get higher up in the sky. I still feel cold, I think my new duvet is on the way. It will come in handy cause the room really gets cold at night. Its Friday tomorrow and hopefully it will bring some news about my Xbox.
There was this guy I knew long ago, he lived in Edinburg. He had a cat and a television, something you'd expect from a twenty something. He was never keen on keeping fish in the house, he thought it was not fair keeping fish in transparent glass aquariums. It felt like keeping humans in houses made of solid air. You wouldn't see it but you'd be tuck within its confines. Often the rules man makes for himself do not apply for anyone else. So all he could think of was keeping fish in aquariums made of bricks. That, it appeared was not a good idea.
We want to live our lives far from the reach of prying eyes but we'd die before we let anyone look in on our lives. Its not that our lives usually amount to much. Most people and I mean you and I, live and die engulfed in the same struggles as everyone else, none of us dare to make a dent in the universe. The guy I knew wanted to change everything but he did not know how. He started living his life, struggling as others did around him expecting a grand plan to be revealed before him. As years went by he found wonderful things and he did things he still doesn't understand. But the years tool their toll. THings remained the same, everything seemed harder, the weight of everything became unbearable. In search of lightness he took to the streets one night. I wish he had met her that night. So did he but that was not to be. It was never about her but ever since he had been doing what others were doing everything seemed to revolve around that one idea. And in all honesty that idea wasn't all that bright nor worth all the time everyone was putting into it. He thought they would eventually get weary of all this and turn their attention to all the magnificence of the world around them but no one seemed to care. So he with his cat saw the sun make its journey day in and day out. It was never enough so one day he bought a ticket and got on the train. He didn't bring his cat along because she wouldn't leave her home for some trivial journey that would surmount to nothing. Little did she know that a journey on an empty stomach often leads to moments of wonder. Moments of wonder are far and few in between and once you stumble upon one you hardly recognise it. Someone once said hindsight is the best sort of vision, it was with a sense of irony. The irony of that night was lost upon the cat. She was after all a cat and could hardly keep up with the ramifications everyday brought with it. So there he was, far from his home, in a place where he knew no one, could not open up his heart to anyone, looking for apexes set out by those around him, lost but with every knowledge of where he was. Some say the irony wasn't just lost to the cat that night. The cat wanted to see the stars she only got close to watching the ones bright enough to pierce the night light of the city. The cat and him, their lives were not so intertwined as it once seemed. The cat never realised that the sun belonged to her and he never realised that the stars were all at the mercy of his sight. His heart screamed but his lips were silent, his mind cried but his eyes were dry. And so another day passed him by. The universe revolving in all its glory, inviting, wonderful, momentous but without someone accepting to change it. {18/11/10 -glasgow to york}

No comments: